Monday, October 8, 2012

Learning Curve

One of the things I love about quilting is that I am always learning new things. Some of them are cool; others are LIFE CHANGING!  :o)
 
The other day I was piddling around online when I came across this tutorial by
 
 
Her method of sewing the corners is fabulous! You simply place a piece of tape (or a scrapbooking sticker if you don't have tape :o) to line up with your needle. Now, instead of having to mark each little square to get a nice straight stitch on the diagonal- you just keep the corners of the square lined up with the edge of the tape (sticker) and you get a straight line.


See- perfect snowball every time. Well, that is unless you cut your snowball 9 1/2" x 10" in which case your square will not be square at all and you'll have to start over. I speak from a late night sewing experience. That's when you know it's time to go to bed.
 
I sure am glad I'm not too old to learn new tricks. :o)

10 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Shazam!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love learning new tricks especially ones that save me time too!

Johanna said...

Cutting snowballs 9 1/2 X 10, sounds like what I do! Glad I'm not alone with that! I still have not tried that trick with the tape, I really need to do that.

Crystal said...

That is a great idea. I am going to have to try it.

Allison said...

That trick changed my life. :) Now I need a trick that makes quilts magically sew themselves together while I watch TV and eat pie. See you at Market??!! -Al

cambric cotton said...

love those short cuts, and I never sew after 9pm, I always make too many mistakes and then spend all night unpicking, so much wasted time.

Stacy Lindblom said...

Why didn't I think of that? What a simple way to simplify my sewing!! Thanks!!!

James said...

Hi,
Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Quilting Community? Our members will love it!
Members include: Quilters, Quilting Enthusiasts, Experts, Bees, Circles and Clubs.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also share Photos, Videos and Articles if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
The Quilting Community: http://www.vorts.com/quilting/
I hope you consider sharing with us.
Thank you,
James Kaufman, Editor

Pop Neo said...

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each every tips of your post are awesome.
wedding dresses

jenmsmitty said...

I did this and LOVE it!! Saves SO MUCH time!!