Monday, July 12, 2010

HomewardBOUND!

What did you do all weekend? I was home so I decided to finish up this little thing:

Do you wanna see more?
I showed a tiny sneek peek a week or so ago. So here's a little more of the finished product. The top and bottom edges of the quilt are a zag-zag. Why did I do this? Because it's SO CUTE! But it's a miracle I finished it. I HATE binding quilts and since this one took a little extra effort it's amazing that I got it done.


This quilt was inspired by 'Sizzlin Sixties' by Anka's Treasures
I got my hands on a Moda Scrap Bag that happened to contain strips of Verna with their selvages and in a sleepless moment (you know what I'm talking about) envisioned this quilt. Here's a couple blocks up close:


I threw in as many coordinating scraps that I could find. And then, when I realized that one Scrap Bag was not enough- I tried to find another one. I ended up calling Fat Quarter Shop to see if they had any. They were super nice to me- but I wouldn't recommend calling ANYONE for a specific Scrap Bag. I mean, they're called "Scrap Bags" for a reason. A few days later my scrap bag came in the mail. I was so excited. I tore it open so fast only to realize that this scrap bag, although it had strips of Verna, didn't contain the selvage edges of the fabric. That was the WHOLE POINT. So my quest led me back to the original store that I bought my first scrap bag from to track down someone else who may have purchased one and might be willing to trade for a 'selvage-less' bag. BINGO! Oh, for the love of fabric. The trade was made, the top was sewn, and now a few months later, the quilt is finished. And guess what?
IT'S MINE!!!
(Don't you love how I share every little boring detail. Sorry)




15 comments:

SewDownunder said...

Hi, I love your fabrics! I also just bought the Sizzling Sixties pattern book and started the 'spinners' pattern , also with Verna from Moda!

Kari Sweeten said...

I LOVE everything about this quilt! So fun and gorgeous!

collettakay said...

You went the extra mile for this quilt. You deserve to keep it!

jlk said...

So cute!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Determination pays off - and it's SO pretty!

Chl said...

YOUR WELCOME!! It's nice to FINALLY see what you did with this. Very Nice!

Jandi said...

I do love how you share every detail! That quilt is fantastic! When you sewed the selvage edges to the non-selvage edges, did you use a smaller seam allowance? Or did a 1/4 still allow you to show off the selvages?

Emily Herrick said...

@Jandi: I actually placed the selvage edge over the raw edge of the piece underneath and topstitched it on the very edge. Since it's the selvage, it won't fray. So I just made sure the raw edge underneath had enough seam allowance. I know some people use a foundation piecing technique- but personally I don't like the added bulk.

Brandie said...

I loved every detail, not boring at all. Your quilt is fabulous! I love how you used the selvage. This is something I could do. Not to much selvage I like. Glad to hear you're out of your room. Take care

Wendi said...

I love every little "boring' detail.... it makes a great "birth story" for this beautiful quilt.

I also have the Sizzling Sixties book and can't wait until I can fit the covers quilt into my schedule.

Kim Brackett said...

Absolutely adorable! I love Verna, and I love the zig-zag edges. This quilt is so happy!

Beth said...

Love ever little detail. The quilt is great.

Selvage Quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt! Awesome.

You can get a bag of selvages at www.fabricsquareshop.com. Laura is the owner and she knows exactly what selvage quilters want. She sells precuts, so she has tons of nice selvages.

Also visit: www.selvageblog.blogspot.com. We want to see your selvage creations!

Selvage Quilter said...

Oh yeah, and we want to hear ALL the little details. Of course. If you can't tell US, who can you tell?

Kate D. Spain said...

wowieeee! what a beauty!! you are something else. i love your quilt and love that you scavenged for scraps just to stick to your vision. now THAT is some determination. way to go! hope you're feeling better and enjoying your summer. xo,kate