Monday, March 21, 2011

Pixelating!

I was thumbing through Redbook magazine the other day and came across this image.





It's a pixel pillow. And of course, because I see quilts in almost EVERYTHING I began thinking...

I have a pattern called "Postage Due" that could be done with a solids Jelly Roll and give the same effect.

But my mind kept at it and wouldn't leave the idea alone.

And then I had another thought- Remember the watercolor quilts of yesteryear that were all the rage?


What if you used that foundation of a grid lined fusible backing to give deliberate placement for your pixels!?

I can see it now.

I don't know what I'm going to try first. I already have a Jelly Roll in my online shopping cart! :o)

What are your thoughts!?




3 comments:

Mommarock said...

I love the solid, but I wouldn't leave it alone either.. I would be taking a favorite photo, and pixellating it somehow.. and so when the quilt was done, and you stood back and looked at the squares as a whole you would see a picture.. maybe a rose, or a puppy, something cuter than cute..

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Before reading the whole post I was going to suggest that you could make a postage stamp quilt using those colors. Now that I have read the whole post I see you have one or more of those as an idea.

KeyQuilter said...

Great idea! We own a little neighborhood grocery store esta'd in 1943. I've been mulling an idea for a quilt to hang along the front wall spelling out our name. That Grid might work great for laying out the block lettersI I could even cut larger fabric pieces when several cells coincide. thanks!