Monday, November 26, 2012

SEW SOLID!

Hey there! I'm finally coming off of my turkey hangover and getting around to this post. I can't wait to show you what I've been working on the last few months.
 
Earlier this year I became OBSESSED with solids. I mean, I used solid fabrics before (neutrals mostly) for backgrounds and such- but never in a whole quilt. But with all the "modern" quilting use of solids I started using them more. Then all of a sudden all the ideas in my sketchbook were filled with solid colors rather then fabric collections. That's when I realized it was time to
 
SEW SOLID!
 

I couldn't contain my excitement for solids anymore and started sewing like crazy. But I soon found that I was alone in my love for solids. Ok, maybe alone isn't the right word. However I talked to many quilters (and shop owners) who found solids were boring or made a quilt look cheap. WHAT!?

That's when I knew I had to do something about it. So I designed a collection of patterns called "Sew Solid" to prove to quilters that solids are anything but boring!

 
In my design process I wanted to make quilts that had awesome graphic detail to show the striking colors. I also kept in mind that these same quilts would need to look nice with printed fabric too.

 
Some of the designs were determined by color placement while others were all about the design and the color choices came later.
 
 
The colors for 'Sure Bet' were fun to pick. I knew I wanted a softer palette but I also wanted something unexpected. I love the results!

 
A few of the patterns use a particular color family to show the design. 'Hot Stuff' was a last minute addition to the group of patterns but was one that I couldn't pass up. This one is probably my favorite of the bunch.  :o)

Of course I had to use a gradation of color! This was a favorite among market attendees and I ended up selling out. Look familiar?
 
 
A few of the patterns I showed at market are re-makes of existing patterns that I have that I knew would look AMAZING in solids. Cabana in cool blues, greys, and a few greens.

 
Urban Life in 3 shades of purple with a dash of chocolate brown and citron to spice it up!

And Best Friends in a combination of soft colors that turned so right!
 
 
I'm curious, do you love to SEW SOLID too!?

14 comments:

Andrea R said...

LOVE solids! You must've been talking to crazy people. ;)

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Whaaat?! Are these people cray? I love solids, and I think your sew solid patterns are genius. I think my favourite of the bunch has to be best friends - love the colour combo and the way the pattern dances.

Vicki in MN said...

I have really taken a liking to solids just this year and have been collecting them and can't wait to get to using them-soon!

Kim-the-girl said...

I have been wishing that I had more solids in my stash because I'm too cheap to go buy more fabric right now. But I LOVE your patterns! They are exquisite!

Kirsten said...

I love sewing with solids - your patterns really show how striking they can be!

Shanna said...

I have started sewing with solids this year...and I love them! There are so many colors to choose from and I have found sometimes they accomplish so much more in a pattern than a collection can. Love the patterns, too!

trish said...

AW.SOME!!! :o)
I especially love your "best
friends" pattern. :o)
Trish

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

Love them all Emily! Thanks for the solids inspiration and patterns. I've recently become infatuated with them myself.
Amanda

JaneRH said...

Wow...I've seen a ton of solid-inspired quilts out there, but your patterns are so fresh and fun and terrific! The problem will be trying to chose just one or 2 to try. Congratulations on your wonderful patterns.

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

I do! I love prints too but solids are really speaking to me right now! :)

Unknown said...

Great patterns Emily! I love solids, in all their saturated glory :)

Karen said...

Soooo good! Congratulations. The patterns are beautiful.

Molly said...

I love these patterns!

surveys london said...

CCTV drain survey London are becoming more and more necessary as many mortgage lenders are requiring them prior to the approval of loans. It is also very good practice if you are looking to buy any property if you want to avoid any expensive repair bills for blocked or collapsed drains. Of course leaking drains can cause more than damage to just themselves, permanent damage could also be inflicted on the foundations of the house also.
cctv drain surveys in London