Monday, July 4, 2011

Today we celebrate...

our Independence Day!

Yesterday my 6 year old asked me why we have a 4th of July. It took my by surprise for a moment. "Don't they teach you that in school?"  I thought. Then I remembered that since the holiday is in the summer I'm not sure how much she puts together from that they learn in school. Besides, she's only just finished kindergarten.
Anyway, as I started to explain to her why we celebrate my heart swelled and I felt such pride in my country.
It's not that I didn't before- but honestly, I don't think about it too much.

With all the political uproar that our nation faces day-to-day on various issues, it's easy to grab a hold of one side or the other and get swept up in the negativity. But it's important to remember those who have gone before to make our country what it is and to give us the freedoms that we enjoy every single day without a second thought. Even more, we have brave men and women today that are willing to put their lives on hold while they continue to fight not only for our freedoms, but fight for the freedoms of others as well.

While I may not always be proud of the way our leaders lead, I am still very thankful to live in this land where I can be free. I am allowed to work, to go to school, to choose what I'd like to wear each day, and the list goes on and on. I'm also given the opportunity to worship the God that I believe in, a freedom very dear to me.

So today, amidst all the BBQ's, gathering of friends and family, and watching of fireworks- take a moment to give thanks for the freedom's that you enjoy.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

You are so right Emily, beside the difficult times your country is going through since the crisis you are still so lucky to be born in a country as yours! It is good to remember that once and a while. Have a great 4th of July!

Beth said...

Very well said.