Saturday, December 26, 2009

Look what I did!

In a frantic effort to have several quilts and their patterns done by the New-Year I took drastic measures to improve my success.

This is the machine I use to quilt. It was my first sewing machine and it's been the best. I even sold it to a friend at one point in order to upgrade, only to realize that I missed it too much. So I bought her a new machine so I could get this one back! :o)


When I quilt I use a plexiglass extension table that fits around the base of the machine to give me a larger work surface. The only problem is that it make the surface just a few inches too tall and thus leaves me with aching sholders and back after I quilt for a while. I've tried to remedy the situation by sitting on a taller seat, but the base of the table then hits the top of my legs. I just learned to deal with it- until now!

My sewing table consists of an old console I got from a thrift store, a couple table legs, and a large piece of MDF. This sewing table measures almost 4 1/2 feet square. and I LOVE IT! Since I made it myself (sort-of) I didn't mine cutting into it! I set my machine on the table and traced around it. I also traced around my other machine (the one for piecing you can see in the bottom right of the pic) just to make sure my hole would be big enough. Then, using some of my 'other' favorite tools I drilled a pilot hole and used a jig saw to cut out the opening.


After a trip to several hardware stores trying to find the right parts I finally decided on "L" shaped brackets. They screw into the sides of the platform (the piece that I cut out) and then screw into the bottom of the table top. I measures and was lucky enough to find brackets that would put my machine almost flush with the table top.


Here is the finished project! It's not very pretty but it functions just right. Guess what? I've even quilted 3 quilts since I did this last week. With the large table surface the quilt has plenty of room to spread out and I don't get as much drag as I did before. Also, the strain on my shoulders and back is so little that I was able to quilt 2 quilts back-to-back without a problem.



28 comments:

Barb said...

That is awesome!!!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very crafty and self-sufficient! We have to come up with ways to quilt quicker and less painful and you know how!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Sweet!

CJ said...

I have mine down like that too for quilting and what a difference!

Shannon said...

Look at you, little miss handy. And I only thought you designed and sewed quilts. Very clever. How was your Christmas?

onlymehere said...

Way to go! I've figured out how to make myself a new table also but won't have the time or money until spring after I get my tax refund!! I'll post it when it's done. You did a great job on this!

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is a great idea! I think it is wonderful! Genius! :)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow, I wish I had that kind of skill. I just bought myself a table, although it is too big for my machine. A customized one would have been great! I wish you lots of pain free quilting time!

Karen said...

....very cool!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Very nice! My table is plastic~ hmmm, maybe I need to find something to cut up too. ;-) I just found you through Kelly @ Cotton Charm~ she sent me one of your patterns~ I had no idea there were other 'crazies' out there! :-)) How fun!

Brenda said...

Now that's what I call a Weekend Warrior project. Way to go! I like it! =)

Mel said...

I have that VERY machine!! It's nothing fancy, but I've loved it and used the heck out of it since 1999!!

It' needs some TLC right now, but over all it's a trouper!

Lisa said...

yeah im inspired to make my own as well. I have a Janome and love it...it's a kenmore really and it's the first machine i bought with all the features i wanted...it's good to know you use a regular machine to quilt like me!

rusluvsme said...

How neat is that?! I'd love to do that also, but don't think the family would appreciate a whole in the kitchen table! ;)

I'm a new follower of your blog, I love it!

Anonymous said...

Just saw this post. funny thing. I have an old Kenmore that I LOVE and use it daily. My new fancy kenmore that does circus tricks sits on the floor behind my old one. A friend gave me a fancy sewing machine and I gave it back. The old Kenmore is my favorite! Glad to know I am not the only one. Lizzie

Unknown said...

Necessity is the mother of invention..I love this

kamariden said...

does your fabric ever get stuck in the space between the table and the the sewing machine?

Christina said...

Brilliant!

Apostle Holley said...

Thanks for sharing. Great craftsmanship.

Sandy in SC said...

This is so cool. I did the same thing with an old sewing machine cabinet. I dropped the machine in the opening , then placed the portable table around it. This made my machine just the right height.

Unknown said...

For around $50 you can get a custom made plexiglass piece to fit between your cabinet and machine where you've cut it out. Nice smooth surface and no catching on material. Great finishing touch to your great modification.

Sheri said...

Measure the space between the top of your sewing surface and the new table. Get a board or anything that would fit in under your sewing machine to lift it up to the right height. Great work!!

CAMFDRN said...

Hi can you share a picture of the brackets you used. I'm thinking some "z" shaped brackets ( with a straight downward motion as opposed to slanted) might be ideal.

CAMFDRN said...

Hi can you share a picture of the brackets you used. I'm thinking some "z" shaped brackets ( with a straight downward motion as opposed to slanted) might be ideal.

CAMFDRN said...

Hi can you share a picture of the brackets you used. I'm thinking some "z" shaped brackets ( with a straight downward motion as opposed to slanted) might be ideal.

Unknown said...

I did it more simple! You two opportunities
First-you can use your usual table, and simple add a plate 400 mm × 800 mm. Thick 18 mm. Cut from right side 440mm×1600 mm( depends of dimensions of your sewing machine)
Add five legs height 75 mm. Four legs on the corners of the plate and one in the middle.
Or you can use console table for Ikea and change your construction. My mail 2016inventor@mail.ru

Pmbourque2 said...

Talk to people at local hardware stores, sometimes you rent time in a shop, or for a fee do it for you. Don't be intimated!

PIERCE said...

I WILL DEFINATELY MAKE THIS INCREDIBLE ADJUSSTMENT TO MY SEWING TABLE. OMG. IT MAKES SO MUCH SIMPLE SENSE.
PETER