Wednesday, March 13, 2013

THANK YOU!

I honestly can't thank you all enough for your kind comments. My whole intent on posting was merely to give myself an outlet to say the things I was feeling. I knew that a few of you would read and understand but I had no idea how many of you have dealt with/are still dealing with the same thing. Although it sucks for all of us, it is a comfort to know we're not alone.

Thank you all for you love and support and kind words. They truly have lifted my spirit as I've read them and keep going back to read them again.

I've been feeling a little better since my rant. At least in my overall outlook of things. I know it will take some time to find what "works" for me but until then I'll keep plugging along. And of course my favorite way to do that is by sewing! :o)


I had some extra scraps from a project the other day that I thought would be perfect for string blocks. I've never made a string block for myself but have made a few for various "bee" blocks. Of course there weren't enough scraps for a whole quilt so I decided to make a couple of pot holders. I used leftover 2 1/2" squares of the same fabrics for the backs.


 I started by piecing each "block", layering it with batting and a piece of muslin on the back. Then I quilted it. I had 4 mini quilts: (2) string blocks and (2) scrappy square blocks. Then I put them together so the muslin was next to each other; one string block and one scrappy square block. I added a binding and put a loop of ric rac for the hanger. I never hang my pot holders but if I ever decide to do so, they'll be ready.

I've seen lots of different ways of making these but since I didn't have any of the thermal batting stuff I wanted to make sure these would be thick enough for the heat. I think with the two layers of batting plus a double layer of muslin in the center they should work just fine at protecting my counters from hot pans. I also wanted them to be BIG. Most of the pot holders I see are around 8" square- these are 10".

The colors make me happy. But I have to admit- I just can't seem to put them in the drawer. I might have to force myself to use them. :o)

By the way- I had so much fun making these that I have 3 more in the works. Perfect way to use up scraps and make something pretty and useful!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Way to go! They are adorable. I still haven't made any potholders (or string blocks, for that matter) for myself - mostly because I don't have thermal batting. But I DO have regular batting (lots of scraps of it, too) and muslin. Sounds like a perfect Easter (or maybe Mothers Day) gift!

Martha said...

Love these. So very cute. I made myself one out of string scraps that is about 10" x 15" specifically for setting pans on the counter with. Now I don't know what I ever did without it. You remind me how many scrpas I have and should get to making new potholders and another large one.
Glad you are having a better day.

Yvonne said...

I am glad you are feeling better after sharing. Isn't it great how quilters can give each other some strength somehow? Love your potholders, self made they are the best!

brittany marie davis said...

These are really cute. I have been wanting to make some up too. This is inspiring me!

Unknown said...

Those are cute :) Sewing does seem to clear the mind and get things into their proper perspective!!! Keep on quilting and you are bound to feel better!!!!
Vickie.vanathotmail.com

Jesse said...

These pot holders are so cute! I really like the bright colors : )