Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Out with the Old...

In with the New! Isn't that the way the saying goes? Well I didn't want to take it LITERALLY.

My Iron has been on the fritz for the last several months. It cycles on and off and it's just rediculous. It's never ON when I need it to be. And, well, the dial is broken so it's stuck on super hot. Also my light dims and my machine slows when it cycles on. Is that normal? Anyway, I decided to finally get a replacement. After talking to a few gals at my LQS I decided that going cheap wasn't such a bad idea. Afterall, my last iron (the one acting all crazy) was a pretty penny.
I wandered into my local JoAnn store the other day and found a sale and picked up a cute little Sunbeam for aroun $20. Not too shabby.

But that isn't the big news. The big news is this: My beloved machine has gone to another place.


Yes, that is a heavenly picture of my machine. And although I'm not too happy at the moment it definately went someone in the clouds because it sure has sewn a TON for me the past 7 years I've had it.

My machine is/was a Kenmore and I LOVED IT! I'm thinking about replacing it with the same model (except they go for anywhere from $50 to $75 more than I originally paid for mine. Inflation. Humpf!) But I am doing plenty of shopping around before I FINALLY get another.

Some may not think Kenmore's are that great. But I think they're a pretty dang good machine for what you pay. I'm just not ready to dump a fortune into a machine. So for around $200-$250 I can get this beauty.

Why do i love Kenmore's? You might ask. Well, my first machine (all mine- not my Mom's) was a Kenmore my Hub's bought me when we were first married. I still have that machine TODAY and it works like a charm (everything on it is manual- except of course the power to keep it running) and I do ALL my machine quilting on it. But...it doesn't blanket stitch. If it did, there would be no need to replace the other.

How did the newer one die? Well, I was just finishing up some blanket stitching on one of my latest patterns and it started moving really slow. And, I kid you now, as I stitched that last stitch it just stopped. Would not go anymore. I went upstairs to finish on my older machine and my oldest son asked "Mom, are you making divinity?" He asked this because the downstairs smelled like when I burned up my hand mixer making divinity once. Hmmm, not good. Took it into the shop this morning and was called an hour later with the news. "Ma'am, we did all we could, but we lost her."

Isn't that a sad story for the first of the year? :o(

I'll let you know when I get a replacement and what I decide on.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Maybe my boy racer of a Novum, who also finally lost the will to stitch on New Year's Eve, will be making a play for your girl up there in the clouds - I should warn you, he's a bit of a cad!

Hope you bond with your replacement soon :)

Calicojoan said...

I professionally crafted for 14 years and actually broke the head of my Kenmore. The warranty was great and they replaced the machine even when it had never happened before. The replacement machine is still in operation today which is 16 years later. They are work horses.

Yvonne said...

Hope you will have a new machine soon! Since I have one I don't know how I ever did everything without one!

Kim Q said...

I own two Kenmores...never a bit of problem with either machine! One is a manual machine, about 20 years old (never been to the repair shop) and the other an embroidery machine...geez, that one is ten years old this month! Both sew like champs, but like yours, my manual machine doesn't have the blanket stitch. Both of my machines are made by Janome. Check the back of the machine head for the model number. If the number begins "385." followed by a long string of numbers, it's a Janome. And that explains the longevity, coupled with the owner's love and care. ;-)

Jocelyn said...

I sewed on a Kenmore for years. It was a real workhorse. And I still have that machine. But when my sweet hubby surprised me with a Bernina 7 years ago, my Kenmore is mostly my back up machine now. I did use it recently and she still purrs :-)

onlymehere said...

I had a Viking for 30 years and absolutely loved it. When I started piecing though it wasn't so good at keeping an accurate 1/4" seam even with putting down marking lines. I gave it to my daughter and she's using it but I purchased a Bernette which I didn't care that much for but it got my foot in the door for a better machine the next year. The shop I bought it at will give you credit for your full purchase price if you upgrade in a year so I upgraded to my Bernina 220 which I love. My Viking also was the kind that they couldn't order a walking foot for and I wanted one so that's another reason to switch up. Own local quilt store (in Logan)has a great owner/repairman and they sell Bernina's so what's a girl to do but go with a Bernina?! I know people who come from Idaho and Wyoming to this little shop for machine repairs. To me the customer service is well worth supporting them. Good luck with your decision.

Lee Ann L. said...

My Mother has a Kenmore and it's still working today. She must have gotten it before I was born. So, that makes it around 46 years old.

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore and it was a great little thing... Until I wanted to do more. I wish I hadn't sold it when I got a new machine. But, I didn't really need nor have the space for two of them.

Julie Earsom said...

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore, too. A gift from my hubby not long after we were married. So it's 20+ years old and has seen a lot of use. I've yet had any problems with it. Very well made. One of the days (years) I should probably take it in to have it maintenances. Something I've never done.

Recently I purchased a new mid-arm machine more for quilting. I absolutely LOVE it. I only wish it had a zig-zag for doing some applique stitching. It is so quiet and fast compared to the Kenmore, but it's not 20+ years old either.

I still have my Kenmore, maybe keep it or I may pass it down to my 14 year old daughter who seems to enjoy sewing as much as I do. :D

Julie Earsom said...

Oh, I forgot to say that my new machine is a Juki TL98Q. Great machine with thread cutter, needle threader, etc. :D

SteffiD said...

Ooohh!! I just received a new Kenmore as an early Christmas present since my old Singer died in November, and I LOVE her! She was on sale at Sears for 99.99, normally 299.99!! I highly recommend these machines, because they are so smooth and are a dream.

Kira said...

I hate replacing machines. My vacuum is on its last leg and I am willing it to go on.

Pokey said...

I learned to sew on Kenmore, and I wore 2 out. Good machines! I hope you can get a replacement soon!

Patty said...

My first machine was a Kenmore also. I have had 3 Kenmores since I started sewing 45 years ago. I gave my first one to a friend and still have the second one that I have in a cabinate and use all the time. My third one is a smaller one that I take to retreats so I don't have to take the one out of my cabinate. And I still love them!

smileynann said...

I think you should totally get a Kenmore, but... you should totally check at Sears. When I was looking at this time last year, the Kenmores were on a HUGE sale. The only reason I didn't get one was because I was shopping with Amazon dollars, not real ones, and it was over $100 more there. Sometimes, though, I'm still sad I didn't do it!

qandlequeen said...

I killed my Kenmore the same way. It just stopped - like all moving parts seized up with one giant CLUNK. I've gone through two replacement machines, hand-me-downs from friends, with no success. I am also in the market for a new machine.